Important Upcoming Dates

Fri., Aug. 24 1st Football Game (H) Covenant
Mon., Sept. 3 Labor Day Holiday
Tues., Sept. 11 Comment Reports
Thurs., Sept. 27 Student 1/2 day 8 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Parent/Teacher
Conferences After 12:30

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ready or not, Here comes a New School Year!

Well, the beginning has come and gone. At Open House Wednesday night, I was so pleased to meet so many of you parents! Clearly, you are very interested in your children, and I fully intend to guide them in their education this year to the best of my ability. The good Lord gives different gifts to different folks, and He gave me a love of teaching and a desire to help teens. I remember how hard it was to be a teenager. Don't you?

The first day of school was a whirlwind of activity of saying hello to old friends and opportunities to make new ones. In assembly we were inspired to follow the right path and to do the things and make the decisions that will get us where we want to go. Teachers shared their rules and procedures for each class, and some gave books and assignments. Today, the second day, was much longer but provided me the opportunity to get a "feel" for the dynamics of each class. Students at FA impress me with their good manners, courtesy, descent clothing, and their constant pleasantness. What a breath of fresh air they are!  

Having come out of retirement, I must admit that by the end of seven periods, I am one tired "puppy." I had become used to doing things at my own pace instead of at the sound of bells, but I am sure that I will manage to transition back into allowing bells to dictate my every move each day.

Next week, novels will be assigned to different grade levels, so don't be surprised when you see your child with his or her "nose in a book" and taking notes on it. I have chosen novels that are classics from the past and modern novels that are pertinent to recent history and possibilities for the near future. I invite and encourage you to read along with them.

Over the next few weeks, the emphasis in all classes will be vocabulary study and composition of various types, in addition to the assigned novel. Please encourage your child to read everyday or he or she will not be able to keep up. I will give reading schedules with the novels so they can stay on pace. All graded and returned papers are supposed to be placed in a section of your childs notebook for your reference. I anticipate a very successful year for your child or children. I look forward to every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment